Monday, February 23, 2015

The Jarvis/Figs Era Begins

January 19, 2015

First week on the job with my new Portuguese comp, Elder Figueiredo.  We have been friends for a while, and it is really nice serving with him. 
Rosaria
This week we baptized a woman named Rosara, and her little daughter.  We actually found her on Christmas Eve, at like 8:55, and we were really close to going home for the night, but we went to the house of a less active and she was there.  She told us that she had been waiting for Elders for a while, that she had already talked to them in the past, and she was close to getting baptized in the past.  She changed a lot over those 3 weeks, and her baptism was sweet. 

Displaying DSCF3149.JPG

Displaying DSCF3151.JPG


Fogo Elders
The Fogo ZLs came and spent the night at our house before the council on Tuesday.  It was funny to see those guys, and talk with them about people and experiences from Fogo.  I have so much saudades for that place, I am in love with the people there.  And I miss the Kreolo so much haha.  Everything was good with them, other than them dirtying up the house, it was great to have them over. 
Funny Things
We had two extremely funny things happen this week, and its worth writing about. We were teaching the plan of salvation the other day, and we were talking about the glories.  Like cel ter tel stuff.  And elder Figs explains the Celestial kingdom, and explains that God lives there.  They we point for the Ter kingdom, and we said ´´this place is for...´´  ´´The Animals´´  Aw... So close Evandoo, the answer we were looking for was not animals... 
The other was a man explaining to us that the trinity, was like an egg.  Where God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are like the shell, yoke, and the egg white.  Just thought it was a little humerus.  Elder Figs and I were a little confused, we just thought it was a funny analogy. 
Spiritual Stuff
I had a chance to give a training on Obedience at Zone Conference.  It was really good, and I learned a lot while preparing it.  We started off talking about the nefi story with laban.  Where he was asked to kill him.  And we talked about why Nefi put that in the book.  Why didn't he just say, and we went back the third time to get the plates, and he was successful, or we obtained them, or something.  Why is that story even in there. Of if he is going to put it in there, why didnt he hide it somewhere in the Alma Chapters, to ensure that it would go unread by all of us.
 For me, I think he is trying to teach us something. I think he put in there,  on pg 8, so even the most casual reader will read it.  And I think he did it to show us the importance of doing the Fathers will.  Because he was taught from a young age not to kill, this was drilled in his brain from the time he was a little boy.  It was all about doing the Fathers will, over his own.    So we had a discussion on that, then talked about how it applies to us.  I may have gotten some of the stuff from E. Holland.  Then we watched a video, baller video, and it went well.  Here is link if any of you want to watch it.  I love you guys, have a great week! 

I had to send this to all the return missionaries from CV, so someone would understand the kreolo.  Had a great week from Lem Fer.  I saw this little kid walking with the "I <3 Jesus" hat, and asked him if I could take a pic with him.  After, he asked me for 10 escudos, or a dime. I gave it to him, and we had ourselves a deal.  

Evandro

One of the more rewarding moments of my mission was watching Evandro get baptised.  He was pretty deep into trouble, and had a pretty messed up life for a really long time.  Elders have tried to talk to him forever, and he just never really wanted to change.  His mom was baptized a couple weeks ago, and I think that helped him.  Three weeks ago he decided he really wanted to change, and he did.  When he bore his testomony after his baptism it was so sincere.  He referred to the spirit as being "This Energy Feeling".  Sometimes we refer to it as a burning, but I feel like "Energy" describes the spirit pretty well. 

Int. with President

Had a chance to do interviews with President this week, and that is always a great learning experience.  He is so good at what he does, and I learned a lot that should help with the work.  

Cheese and Chocolate 

Possibly the highlight of the week was our neighbor from Holland giving us cheese and chocolate from Holland.  It was so incredible!  We hadn't had normal cheese is over a year and  half, and it is soo good!  

Spiritual Stuff

Elder Carlos A Goday gave a talk that I really enjoyed in General Conference.  Partly because it was in Portugese.  But he talks about the question "If I keep living, the way Im living right now, will I cumprir all the promises in my Patriartical Blessing?"  I was thinking about this a lot, because one of my biggest fears, and IM sure it is for a lot of missionaries, was wondering if  was doing everything I could to become the person God wants me to be when I go home.  And if we look at it like he puts it, cumprir our promises, I think thats a good way to measure if we are doing things right.  

Love all you guys! Deus Ku Tudo de Nhos! Sempre fé e coragem.  ´
Elder Jarvis

No comments:

Post a Comment